Table of Contents
AUSTIN, Texas – Austin police officers indicted on aggravated assault costs adhering to May 2020 racial justice protests facial area up to existence in prison if convicted, an attorney symbolizing 8 of them states.
Nineteen officers have been indicted on prices connected to the protests. Lawyer Douglas O’Connell and his lover, Ken Ervin, symbolize 8 of them.
“Each and every of these 8 officers are billed with two counts of aggravated assault by a general public servant. These are first diploma felonies,” O’Connell informed reporters in a press convention Monday.
Ervin states the business has not found the indictments. He expects to look at them Tuesday. Which means the attorneys are unable to verify what style of aggravated assault costs the eight officers they symbolize are dealing with.
The conditions stem from officers firing less deadly munitions at protestors. Ervin believes most, if not all costs, are probable “aggravated assault with a lethal weapon.”
“This is generally a second-degree felony, but if dedicated in the training course of their duties as regulation enforcement, it becomes a to start with-degree felony punishable by 5 to 99 decades or everyday living in jail,” Ervin defined.
O’Connell explained the officers could also experience an up to $10,000 good.
With capias warrants issued for each of the 19 Austin Law enforcement Section officers, O’Connell and Ervin verified their customers documented to the Travis County Jail.
“They were being fingerprinted, photographed and produced on a $1 hard cash deposit bond. There are no supplemental bond ailments,” stated O’Connell.
The Travis County District Attorney’s Business office makes $1 bonds offered to these who would be eligible for personalized bonds prior to Senate Bill 6 — a current invoice that reformed the state’s bail method.
Monday, Brad Heilman, an lawyer symbolizing Detective Nicholas Gebhart, informed FOX 7 Austin his shopper was also booked and launched from the Travis County Jail on a $5,000 bond.
“I sat as a result of the SIU job interview, I sat via the entire administrative procedure and noticed all the evidence and I’m stunned and upset that an indictment was handed down in this case. And I absolutely search forward to a jury viewing all of the evidence,” claimed Heilman.
Gebhart is accused of capturing 16-12 months-aged Brad Levi Ayala in the head. Video clip shows the teen standing on a hill observing the protest when he was shot with a considerably less-deadly round.
His brother, Edwin Sanchez, advised Austin City Council in 2020 his brother had been at get the job done at Jersey Mike’s Subs when stopped on the hill to observe the days occasions. The Austin Law enforcement Association has maintained that Ayala was not Gebhart’s meant concentrate on.
“All officers confronted extremely demanding circumstances all through the protests,” mentioned Ervin. “Our officers were being struck with frozen drinking water bottles, h2o bottles filled with urine, glass bottles, rocks, exploding fireworks and one Molotov cocktail — which was attempted to be thrown, but was caught in advance of it was lit and thrown.”
When asked about innocent bystanders being shot, O’Connell replied, “There quite well may perhaps be righteous civil law, civil personalized personal injury conditions. That’s not what is likely on here. These are prison indictments where by these officers encounter up to 99 yrs or life in jail.”
O’Connell and Ervin say their consumers each have a courtroom date set. Nevertheless, they believe trials are more than a 12 months absent. The duo signify a few sergeants and two corporals, five supervisors in complete.
Lawyers presented the subsequent descriptions of the officers they characterize:
- Detective Nicholas Gebhart: For violent crime interdiction unit – FBI undertaking force, existing member of swat gold crew, at this time on teaching cadre of SRT
- Sergeant Josh Blake: Blake has served Austin for more than 20 a long time and is at present assigned to the SWAT workforce. Master peace officer’s license. Previously certified as a mental overall health officer and standardized area sobriety teacher.
- Sergeant Stan Vick: Vick has served for 16 decades with APD and is at present assigned to inner affairs. Learn peace officer’s license.
- Sergeant Brett Tableriou: Tableriou has served Austin for 19 many years and assigned to sector investigations. Learn peace officer’s license.
- Corporal Ed Boudreau: Boudreau has been with APD for almost 15 decades. He is assigned as a patrol corporal. Master peace officer’s license. Licensed as an highly developed instructor, firearms teacher and driving teacher.
- Corporal Christopher Irwin: Irwin is a 9-yr veteran of APD. He at present serves as a patrol corporal. Master peace officer’s license. Licensed mental overall health officer, subject education officer.
- Senior law enforcement officer Justin Berry: Berry has served for extra than 14 a long time. He’s at present assigned to the distinctive situations and crisis administration division. Grasp peace officer’s license.
- Senior law enforcement officer Eric Heim: Heim is a 7-yr officer who’s presently assigned as a history investigator. Intermediate peace officer license. Licensed psychological health officer, industry education officer.
- Senior police officer Jeff Teng: Teng has served the Austin neighborhood for 5 many years and is assigned to patrol. Intermediate peace officer license. Qualified psychological wellness officer, licensed bilingual officer.
Far more HEADLINES:
Indicted APD officers to be placed on administrative depart
19 APD officers indicted adhering to Might 2020 protests